Opposition party leader ends 24
时间:2023-11-30 12:56:02 出处:자동차阅读（143）
Opposition leader Lee Jae-myung, who has been on a hunger strike in protest against what he called a slew of the Yoon government's policy failures, ended his fasting after more than three weeks, a party official said Saturday.
"Chairman Lee will end the hunger strike on its 24th day and begin treatment for recovery," Kang Sun-woo, a spokesperson for the main opposition Democratic Party, said in a briefing.
"The medical team treating Lee strongly called for Lee to call off the hunger strike as continuing it would have severely hurt his health," Kang said, adding that Lee is willing to carry out his work schedule in consultation with the medical staff.
On Thursday, the National Assembly voted to endorse the motion to lift Lee's immunity to arrest, reflecting a growing division among DP lawmakers, particularly those not aligned with Lee, in anticipation of next year's general elections.
A senior party official has said Lee will not step down as party leader. (Yonhap)
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- Immersive, digital art shows to enjoy during extended holiday
- XG storms back with 'New DNA'
- Seoul streets transform to open stage for Seoul Street Arts Festival
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- Asiana mishandled midair door
- Hospital visits during Chuseok cost up to 50% more
- House ownership widens wealth gap between young and old
- Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices